Happy Easter, you guys! It's officially the weekend of overindulging to mark the end of Lent (where my no-takeaway pact lasted about two weeks... incredible efforts there, Laura). I'm not a religious person at all but Easter really is a lovely time of the year to come together with your friends and family over sweet treats and gigantic Sunday roasts - and an even better time to get your bake on. So, to mark the occasion, I baked some quick and easy Easter chocolate cupcakes to share with my friends, and Graeme, if he's lucky.
Ingredients (makes 12 large cupcakes or 16 fairy cakes)
For the cakes:
- 140g of unsalted butter (softened)
- 140g of golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 25g of cocoa powder
For the buttercream frosting:
- 85g of milk chocolate (I used Dairy Milk but use whichever is your favourite)
- 85g of unsalted butter (softened)
- 140g of icing sugar
- A packet of Cadbury Mini Eggs (or ASDA's 'Micro Eggs', in my case)
- A packet of Galaxy Golden Eggs
- First off, crank the oven up to 190°c (fan ovens: 170°c / gas: 5) and fill your tray with cake cases. I used large gold metallic cases to match the golden eggs, but you do you!
- Tip all of the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl, taking care to sift the flour and cocoa powder first for a fluffier cake result.
- Whisk the cake ingredients for 2 minutes using an electric whisk until you get a smooth consistency.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into your cake cases, making sure to fill them until about two-thirds of the way full
- Bake in your oven for 12-15 minutes until risen.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst your cakes are cooling down, you can start on the buttercream frosting.
- Break up your chocolate into small chunks and heat in the microwave on 'High' for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the icing sugar and butter until smooth.
- Beat the melted chocolate into the icing sugar and butter mixture.
- Spread your frosting on to the cakes (using an icing bag and nozzle for a neater finish, if preferred).
- Now's the fun part - decorate your cakes with the Mini Eggs and Golden Eggs and then get sharing your cakes around! Voila...